Tuesday, May 11, 2010

here we go...



so i am finally gonna report some stuff for you....let's see, hmmmmm....



april 10 was the lawrence river trail UFD race. I of course opted for the marathon class (3 hours) on my single speed. didn't finish too terrible, 9th out of 19 marathoners...finished 9 short laps (4.7 mile laps for 42.3 miles total) in 3:15. The only real complaints I had were the short laps the promoters decided to run...the whole loop was ready to go and it should have been used, but I guess I can't complain cause I'm didn't help do any work...thanks to free state racing for the good time. by the way, my boy steele mopped up the sport class winning by 11 minutes in his first MTB race, which was pretty sweet.



april 11 was the god's country duathlon, again at the lawrence river trails. started with a 2.3 mile run, followed by a 14 mile bike, and finished with a 2.2 mile run. First run was ok, i was proud of myself because I ran the whole thing and didn't walk any. transitioned to the bike and started passing people like crazy. probably passed 60 people during the bike portion, no lie. there was one section I was off in the grass/woods passing a train of 20 or so riders. I had seen it ahead and told myself to just keep railing by and keeping yelling out to people i was coming through, or I would never get through. It ended up being the right call for sure. My overall time was definitely saved by the bike portion. The second run started well, and exactly at the 1 mile marker I started to cramp up and my legs decided that I hadn't trained enough on the running. The last 1.3 miles was a half walk, half jog strip fest, as I had to pop off my jersey cause I was burning up once we popped back out on the levee. finised with a total time of 1:48, good enough for 46th overall out of 104 participants. unfortunately for Chris, I think the numbers suffered a little from the rescheduled UFD race the day before. It was an experience working with him and the crew for sure, getting flyers distributed, setting up and marking the course/transition area, getting registration going, and finally tearing everything down. sunday was a long day all said and done and finished a great weekend of racing in lawrence.





April 18 was the bonebender 3/6 hour race at smithville. absolutely perfect trails and administration of the event. I opted for the 6 hour solo single speed. nutrition was off for sure as I ended up having to pull after 5 hours. finished 4 laps (11.5 mile laps for 46 miles total) in 5:10 which was still good enough for 12th out of 21 in my class. I expereinced the worst cramping I'd ever had during the 3rd and 4th laps and finally threw in the towel. better training and better nutrition will solve these problems. It was fricking sweet to see 250+ racers out there though. The first two laps were spent basically in a pace line through the woods, lap three our group broke off, but we still had 5-6 guys in a group and lap four we were still in the group, lost one to a flat, another crashed hard, then I bonked and had to stop and stretch cause the cramps were getting so bad. it was really fun to see the whole racing scene, from cameron in his special bibs to all the ladies and kids that made it out for the fun.



found out my boy steele is moving to austin cause he got a job in a sweet shop down there. sad to see him go, but it'll be good for him, great trails and a real freeriding scene. looks like a visit to austin is in the works for the future.

did some more trail work at swope may 1 and knocked out around 300 yards with a great small group of peeps. see details here: swopetrails.com

sold my full suspension specialized to mason so that I can get a new bike... http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/hardtails/dakota/10_dakota29team.html ... I'm just getting the frameset and moving all the sweet parts from my on-one to the new extremely light carbon frame. I'm thinking it'll be about 20-21 lbs. as a single speed with my reba, stans wheels and carbon flat bars/ergon grips w/ bar ends. either way, I lose at least 5 lbs off my current set-up, look for the new bike in June!

ok, so you got a good write-up and pictures! which I hardly ever do. looking forward, mason and I are scouting the lawrence legato route later this morning, more trail work at swope this weekend, maybe a race in columbia on sunday, riding with steele before he leaves, and chilling until classes start back up on june 7. until then...

peace and riding!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment